Lecture 2 Speech Act

Although I was not in the class when we were having this lecture. However, I read the lecture notes and I found that to know what's the different "speech act" is very important especially for the foreigner who go to different language speaking country.

I myself have an experience of speak in wrong way of English and make other very upset, and what's worse, I even did not know that after few minutes.Few months ago, I went to US for the International Trumpet Guild Solo Competition and lived in one of my trumpet teacher's friend's house. He is so nice, the way he treat me let me feel I was actually his lost son.

So, after one dinner he sit in the same table with me, and I said very seriously "You are too nice to me."
His smile stock on his face, and just look at me, silent.

.......
.......
.......

He said "what do you mean!?"

"Ahhh... means you are too good?"

SILENT.....


"what's wrong?" said me.

"Nothing!" said him and eat very heavily.

......

few minutes later he smile again and explain to me that "I am too nice to you" can means I want to get something from you so I am nice to you.

After this, I think instead of using "too", I will use very forever.

沒有留言:

張貼留言